Centennial Divorce Attorneys

Getting a Divorce Doesn't Have to Be Hard

Thinking of ending your marriage?

Whether it's been a long time coming or seems to have come out of the blue, we are here to help.

Solutions Based Family Law offers comprehensive legal counsel and representation for individuals filing for divorce in Centennial and its surrounding areas. 

We are proud to provide divorce services in the following counties:

  • Douglas
  • Arapahoe
  • Jefferson
  • Adams
  • Denver
  • Boulder
  • El Paso

Uncontested or Contested, Our Divorce Attorneys Near You Can Help

Our divorce lawyers bring decades of combined experience to help you find a legal solution that meets your specific needs and goals. From simple uncontested divorces to complex contested divorces, we are here to support you through this sensitive life transition. 

We are firm believers in empowering our clients to make informed decisions on their divorce and future. Our attorneys are here to educate you and find creative ways to help you achieve your goals. Nobody knows your family better than you do and we advocate for your interests at every step of the legal process. 

Are you looking for a trusted divorce attorney in Centennial, CO or its surrounding areas? Contact us online or at (720) 463-2232 to schedule a consultation.

Dissolution of Marriage vs. Legal Separation

A dissolution of marriage, commonly referred to as a divorce, permanently terminates your marriage. Both parties are then free to remarry.

However, legal separation means that you and your spouse remain legally married and are not at liberty to marry someone else. This may be a useful solution for couples whose faith does not permit divorce or if you wish to maintain certain benefits possible due to your marital status.

It follows that separation and divorce share many of the same elements, such as:

Trying Separation Before Divorce

Certain couples decide to first file for separation before deciding whether to petition for divorce, although the law does not state that separation is a prerequisite for divorce. You may directly file for divorce.

The duration of the divorce or separation process generally depends on your unique situation. The legal proceedings may take from a few months to more than a year. As we get a clear picture of your specific circumstances, we can discuss a potential timeline.

What Is the Difference Between Uncontested and Contested Divorce?

An uncontested divorce means that you and your spouse agree on all aspects pertaining to the dissolution of your marriage. Uncontested divorces are usually less expensive and get resolved more quickly than contested ones. This option can set a positive example if you share minor children and create a solid foundation for collaborative co-parenting. 

In a contested divorce, both parties disagree on at least one element of the termination of their marriage. While you may eventually reach an agreement through mediation, certain contested divorces go to litigation. Certain situations such as a marriage with a history of domestic violence may benefit from a contested divorce to minimize your interaction with your spouse.

Colorado is a “no-fault” divorce, which means that you and/or your spouse do not have to state or prove specific grounds when filing for divorce.

What to Expect During the Divorce Process in Colorado

You can file for divorce on your own or jointly with your spouse. Colorado requires that at least one party must have resided in the state for at least 90 days before filing for divorce. Make sure you fill out all your divorce documents fully and accurately. 

If only one spouse files for divorce, they must legally serve the notice to the other spouse and provide proof of adequate procedure to the court.

Divorce documents you must submit to the court can include:

  • Divorce petition
  • Supporting documents
  • Any applicable parenting documents

Upon reception of your documents, the court typically schedules an Initial Status Conference Date. Both parties then must fully disclose their financial situations including income, assets, debts, and any other relevant information. The court may request additional details depending on whether your divorce is uncontested or contested.

During your Initial Status Conference, both parties must present their needs before the court. This helps the judge assigned to your case to get a more detailed understanding of your situation and allows you to gain a more precise timeline of how the rest of your divorce may unfold.

The court may order both spouses to go through mediation to negotiate any existing issues and reach a mutually beneficial agreement to present to the judge. Each party has the right to request their lawyer’s presence during those meetings.

If any issue remains contested after the mediation process, the judge reviews and resolves them before issuing a Decree of Dissolution of Marriage and any support orders necessary such as child custody orders if you share minor children.

Choose Solutions Based Family Law to Protect Your Interests and Future in Colorado

Even for a straightforward uncontested divorce, hiring a reputable lawyer can make a positive difference in the legal proceedings. At Solutions Based Family Law, our team combines a thorough understanding of Colorado family law and extensive professional experience to help protect your rights and future.

We can help you outside of the courtroom or during hearings. Our attorneys have extensive experience with many types of divorce, and we can assist you during negotiations or trials. Our firm believes in compassionate and personalized representation to help you find a solution that meets your specific needs and goals.

From reviewing your initial petition to your proposed agreements, we can evaluate all documents concerning your divorce to make sure that they are in your interests. If you share minor children with your spouse, our lawyers are also attentive that negotiations and court orders respect your parental rights.

Our firm serves families in Douglas, Arapahoe, Jefferson, Adams, Denver, Boulder, El Paso Counties, and their surrounding areas. Even after finalizing your divorce, our attorneys remain available if you want to request court order modifications.

Call Solutions Based Family Law today at (720) 463-2232 or fill out our online form to schedule a divorce consultation in Centennial, CO.